[Cesg-all] Fw: [CESG] VERY URGENT: DRAFT SPRING 2009 ROOM ASSIGNMENTS

Jean-Luc.Gerner at esa.int Jean-Luc.Gerner at esa.int
Fri Feb 20 03:39:28 EST 2009

Adrian,
Your mail of yesterday has in attachment a schedule which does not take into
account the inputs I provided to you one week ago. See attached.
Please update the general schedule accordingly.

Jean-Luc Gerner
TEC-ETN
Tel: +31 71 565 4473
----- Forwarded by Jean-Luc Gerner/estec/ESA on 20/02/2009 09:36 -----

             Jean-Luc
             Gerner/estec/ESA
             13/02/2009 13:42           "Adrian J. Hooke"
                                        <adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov>
                                                                          cc
                                        "CCSDS Engineering Steering Group -
                                        ADs" <cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>, CCSDS
                                        Engineering Steering Group - All
                                        <cesg-all at mailman.ccsds.org>,
                                        cesg-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org
                                                                     Subject
                                        Re: [CESG] VERY URGENT: DRAFT SPRING
                                        2009 ROOM ASSIGNMENTS(Document link:
                                        Jean-Luc Gerner)

This is the updated SLS schedule, 99% proof.
(See attached file: SLS at CS-schedule01.xls)
Jean-Luc Gerner
TEC-ETN
Tel: +31 71 565 4473

             "Adrian J. Hooke"
             <adrian.j.hooke at jp
             l.nasa.gov>                                                  To
             Sent by:                   "CCSDS Engineering Steering Group -
             cesg-bounces at mailm         ADs" <cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>
             an.ccsds.org                                                 cc
                                        CCSDS Engineering Steering Group -
                                        All <cesg-all at mailman.ccsds.org>
             06/02/2009 15:30                                        Subject
                                        [CESG] VERY URGENT: DRAFT SPRING
                                        2009 ROOM ASSIGNMENTS

As you know, as host of the Spring 2009 CCSDS meeting NASA has decided that
we will be going back to the Penrose House in Colorado Springs:
http://www.elpomar.org/page.asp?pageid=0|6|51&id=0|penrose_house

However, since we were last there the management has done some remodeling,
which has reduced the number of available meeting rooms. It will therefore be
a "squeeze".  Accordingly, we will be forced to run the meeting for six days
(Monday 20 April through Saturday 25 April) in order to spread the load.

We will have a maximum of 10 rooms available: 6 formal conference rooms, plus
we plan to set up 4 partitioned "cubicle" rooms in the four corners of the
Pavilion (where we held the plenary events the last time). The Area Directors
have already agreed to work cooperatively to reduce the scheduling nightmare,
by each assuming the responsibility for managing their Areas's meeting room
assignments. In order to help the ADs as much as possible, the Secretariat
has produced the attached initial plan for spreading the meetings across the
week.

It is imperative that we get the preliminary meeting announcement and
schedule published on the CCSDS website  as soon as possible so that people
can start to plan their travel.  It is also critical that we get the first
schedule "as right as possible", otherwise people may make travel plans and
later discover that the meetings have moved around. So here is what we need:

WG Chairs:  Scan this plan and provide your input to your Area Director as
soon as possible. (Please do NOT respond to the Secretariat: work through
your Area Director.)

Area Directors: Please discuss this plan with your WG chairs, and provide any
necessary revisions to the Secretariat WITHIN ONE WEEK.  Your response is due
by COB FRIDAY FEBRUARY 13.  If you have minor changes, a simple text email
will suffice (“swap the DAI and RAC time slots”).  However if the changes are
more complex, provide a revised spreadsheet.  However, only revise the plan
for your Area, please.   And remember, if you make changes later you will
probably have significant problems since your people may have planned
different travel dates.

This initial plan was based on the history of meeting needs in the Arlington
and Berlin meetings.  All of that history is in the attached spreadsheet, so
you can see the rationale.  The “history” tab explains how the size and
duration of the team meetings was derived.  The “Initial AD Plan” tab has the
details of the current plan that shows that this is feasible.  Our
recommendation is that each Area Director should start with that plan as the
assumed baseline and should provide to the Secretariat any changes that
result from your discussions between WG chairs and ADs.   HOWEVER, your
changes must not expand outside the boundaries of the room schedules which
have been allocated to you.   Also, keep in mind that there are patio and
outside areas, which (if the weather is nice) can be utilized for more
pleasant meetings (but without projectors).   Historically, the weather in
April is decent and other Penrose House customers have moved meetings
outside.   There will also be tables and chairs available in the center space
of the Pavilion, for small quiet discussions that do not perturb the people
in the four partitioned areas.

So, here is the resulting allocation that we have:

RESULTING ALLOCATION:
MOIMS:
·         Carriage Room (Monday to Saturday)
·         Pavilion cube 1 (Monday to Saturday)
·         Pavilion cube 2 (Monday to Saturday)
CSS
·         Proby room (Monday to Saturday)
·         Pavilion cube 3 (Monday to Saturday)
SLS:
·         Penrose room (Monday to Saturday)
·         Pavilion cube 4 (Thursday to Saturday)
SEA
·         Trustees Room (Monday to Saturday)
·         Pavilion cube 4 (Monday to Wednesday)
SIS:
·         Cripple Creek room  (Monday to Saturday)
SOIS:
·         Broadmoor room (Monday to Saturday)

Some additional notes:
·   The Pavilion cube areas are shown as a capacity of 10, but we hope to
arrange them with an open side so additional attendees can group around.
·   We encourage you to keep Area Plenaries to one hour, so the WGs can
simply break for an hour, but still retain Monday morning and Saturday
afternoon as productive WG meeting time.
·   Joint meetings which were documented in the past are shown on this
schedule.  Additional joint meetings can be held, but they must be taken from
the allocation of the existing WG meetings.
·   To help the ADs as much as possible in their planning, there is a Word
document with photos of the Penrose meeting rooms posted in the expected
folder on the CESG CWE:
http://cwe.ccsds.org/cesg/docs/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2fcesg%2fdocs%2fMeetings%20Materials%2f2009%20April%2fColorado%20Springs%20meeting%20planning%20materials&FolderCTID=&View=%7b7E1B73D5%2d43B6%2d42DF%2dB46B%2dA619BFB39C70%7d

Sorry for the short notice (only one week) on this.  We have had quite a few
complications with the Penrose House, and we have investigated many alternate
meeting approaches, even looking at other venues.  This is the only one that
worked.  But as a result, we must get this schedule announced for the
attendees as soon as possible.  Please provide your response as quickly as
possible.

Best regards
Adrian

Adrian J. Hooke
Manager: Space Networking Architecture, Technology and Standards
Space Communications and Navigation Office, 7L70
Space Operations Mission Directorate
NASA Headquarters
Washington, DC 20546-0001(See attached file:
06Feb09-draft-Spring09-RoomSchedule.xls)