[Cesg-all] Fwd: Re: Review of new Space Link Protocols WG Charter

T. Gannett Thomas.Gannett@gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:11:19 -0400

At 04:37 PM 9/26/2003, Greg J Kazz wrote:
>Thanks Tom for your clarity.
>I used the wrong word - publish.
>I ment to say, the rids are distributed by the secretariat to the RID
>coordinator of the cognizant working group.
>Greg

Greg:

Proximity-1 is not in review: it is a published Recommendation.  Since it
is not in review, things like review coordinators and RIDs do not
exist.  What you have is a set of proposed changes to a published document,
and there is no coordinator of any sort to which to send them.

The procedural steps that must take place are:

1) There must be approval by the AD and the CESG for the update to be done
in the first place.
2) The working group chartered to handle the update must agree on the
changes and produce Pink Sheets.
3) When the WG has completed the Pink Sheets, the WG chair must seek AD
approval; the AD in turn must seek CESG approval; and the CESG in turn must
seek CMC approval to release them for Agency review.
4) Etc.

Assuming you are procedurally somewhere between steps 1) and 2) and that
the WG chartered to do this work has not yet seen the proposed changes,
before anything can else can happen the proposed changes need to be
distributed within the WG for WG-internal review.  Probably the best way to
accomplish this distribution is to send the proposed changes to the WG's
mailing list.  The Secretariat could do that, but it seems like an
unnecessary step to send them to the Secretariat so that the Secretariat
can send them to the WG.  Why not simply send them to the WG?

If, on the other hand, you are procedurally pre-step 1), as apparently some
people have asserted, I would, if I were you, strongly encourage your AD to
provide the revised WG charter to the CESG, so that the CESG can approve it.

I do not believe there is a need to allow these procedures to impede
progress, however, and there is nothing to prevent your sending the
proposed changes to the WG now on the assumption that all necessary
approvals will be secured.

TG