[Ccsds-omg-liaison] CSRM comments

omg_jd at objectsandaspects.com omg_jd at objectsandaspects.com
Thu Oct 3 14:01:54 UTC 2019

The time between our meeting last week, and the required delivery date for
the revised submission is short.  I have begun to import the INCOSE model
into EA under the assumption that I will be able to publish it soon.  Since
the time to address issues is short, I have decided to publish these initial
comments so we can begin to make the necessary revisions.

The XMI file, space_19_08_04, is not standard XMI.  It has a number of
MagicDraw proprietary entries and information.  In addition there are some
errors in the standard information.  I suggest we find someone who
understands the MagicDraw XMI generation to  assist with the generation of
acceptable XMI.

1.       It looks like there are several proprietary extensions used in the
model:

xmlns:DSL_Customization='http://www.magicdraw.com/schemas/DSL_Customization.
xmi'

xmlns:Validation_Verification_Profile='http://www.magicdraw.com/schemas/Vali
dation_Verification_Profile.xmi'

xmlns:MagicDraw_Profile='http://www.omg.org/spec/UML/20131001/MagicDrawProfi
le'

xmlns:Concerns_and_Requirements_Profile='http://www.magicdraw.com/schemas/Co
ncerns_and_Requirements_Profile.xmi'

xmlns:Architecture_Structures_Profile='http://www.magicdraw.com/schemas/Arch
itecture_Structures_Profile.xmi'
xmlns:MD_Customization_for_Requirements__additional_stereotypes='http://www.
magicdraw.com/spec/Customization/180/Requirements'

xmlns:Technical_Measures_Profile='http://www.magicdraw.com/schemas/Technical
_Measures_Profile.xmi'

xmlns:Validation_Profile='http://www.magicdraw.com/schemas/Validation_Profil
e.xmi'
xmlns:Dependency_Matrix_Profile='http://www.magicdraw.com/schemas/Dependency
_Matrix_Profile.xmi'

xmlns:MD_Customization_for_SysML__additional_stereotypes='http://www.magicdr
aw.com/spec/Customization/180/SysML'>

2.       The SysML namespace resolves to a 404 page error

a.       xmlns:sysml='http://www.omg.org/spec/SysML/20150709/SysML'

One of the more prevalent stereotypes is <HyperlinkOwner> which has been
applied to most but not all of the packages and elements in the model.  I'm
not sure what that is, but I assume it relates to how MagicDraw manages
elements in their tool and should not appear in OMG XMI.

The Conference Papers package includes SysML notes that reference interim
status presentations.  I don't believe these would be applicable to a
CubeSat developer using the reference model and should probably be removed.

It looks like there are duplicate named elements for most if not all of the
model elements.  For example there is an actor named 18th Space Control
Squadron and there is a class named 18th Space Control Squadron (this may be
a Block in the original model).  The class seems to exist solely to be a
place to capture the description of the stakeholder in a note property.  I
do not like the notion of two elements with the same name.  If the class
exists simply to capture the description why can't we do this as part of the
actor properties?

MagicDraw proprietary tables have been used to map stakeholders to their
concerns.  It does not look like the concerns are model elements, rather
they are just text in a table.  A proper model (in my opinion) would have
the concerns captured as model elements and a relationship between the
concerns and the appropriate stakeholder.  Modeling tools could then choose
to present this information as a diagram, a matrix or a table, or anything
else that might be appropriate.

J.D. Baker

Sparx Systems Ambassador

Mobile - 760 315-3636