[Ccsds-omg-liaison] CCSDS/OMG working relationships

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 16 12:55:44 EST 2005

Please find the attached set of minutes from the recent OMG Space Domain
Task Force (SDTF) meeting in Burlingame, California. Note that the
attachment that refers to the "Wednesday morning" meeting appears to have
gone AWOL.

Now that we have gotten the CCSDS formal review of XTCE underway, I would
like to start a discussion on this list about future mechanisms for better
synchronizing the work of CCSDS and the SDTF. There are some items
mentioned in this set of minutes that could be interpreted as still not
being very "consultative" (and the one about the MOIMS approach being
"years away" might be interpreted as being dismissive).

At some point, it seems to me, we need to establish some clear evaluation
criteria for whether we initiate and pursue work within the OMG or within
CCSDS. New work proposals - originating on both sides of the fence - should
then be cooperatively evaluated to see where they will be most effectively
executed. So far, the following top-level differences in operating approach
have been alluded-to:

1. OMG is an industry-driven organization that views standardization as a
way to get compatible commercial products to market in a short period of
time, using current technology. CCSDS is a mission and Agency-driven
organization that looks ahead at prospective requirements and views
standardization as a technology development and technology infusion
activity that has has a medium-term gestation time.

2. OMG nowadays is all about standardizing APIs, with very little ongoing
work on wire protocols. CCSDS is all about  standardizing wire protocols to
achieve interoperability, with little if any attempt to standardize APIs.

Are those differences - one managerial, one technical - correct? Are there
other major differences? If we understand the differences, then perhaps we
can find a way to ensure that our future activities are fully
complementary. So over the next 6-weeks, I'd like to use this discussion
list to see whether we can come up with a set of clear evaluation criteria
and a proposed technical coordination mechanism that we can lay-out on
paper and present to OMG and CCSDS management for their joint agreement in
Athens.

Jon: note that the CCSDS Management Council will meet on Tuesday 12 April
in Athens. I will add this topic to their agenda and I hope that you will
be able to attend this session.

Best regards
Adrian