[Sis-dtn] HPRP Orange Book - Draft A for Comments

Jeremy.Mayer at dlr.de Jeremy.Mayer at dlr.de
Thu Apr 4 05:19:56 UTC 2024

Hi Brian,
Thanks! Comments inlined.

Thanks,
Jeremy

From: SIS-DTN <sis-dtn-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org> On Behalf Of Sipos, Brian J. via SIS-DTN
Sent: Dienstag, 5. März 2024 22:12
To: Felix Flentge <Felix.Flentge at esa.int>
Cc: sis-dtn at mailman.ccsds.org
Subject: Re: [Sis-dtn] HPRP Orange Book - Draft A for Comments

Felix and Jeremy,
This is a good definition of this protocol so far. I have a few feedback comments to clarify some things.

One aspect of the HPRP that doesn't seem to be discussed is the technical relationship between HPRP and LTP in the sense that the two protocols can be disambiguated over the same (datagram) channel. They put the version code in the same starting spot in each datagram and use disjoint code points that an endpoint or a middlebox can use to distinguish them. This could be explicitly not a requirement for interoperation between LTP and HPRP over the same paths, but just to mention that it could happen and there is no problem in doing so. JPM: You caught us ;) One of the previous drafts explicitly outlined this possibility, but the text was removed in a prior review, around the same time as we moved from LTPv2->HPRP. Since we "broke" the lineage between LTP and HPRP, the version number didn't make much sense. I'll re-add the text, but I think we should specify that, for UDP channels, a different port number should be used. However, for space data links, this disambiguation may be useful.

In Section 3.6 I think the need from the underlying layer are not just to send and receive segment data, but when sending there must be either a notion of a destination (parameterized by engine ID perhaps) or a discussion that this parameterization assumes that the underlying layer is assumed to be point-to-point with a single peer engine (and if there are actual link addresses required those addresses need to be handled outside of the HPRP engine/layer).
JPM: Agreed; will specify that the mapping from destination engine ID->link-specific addressing must be managed out-of-band.
In Section 3.6 it would be helpful to have an explicit statement that this protocol does not rely on there being any relation between the forward and return path taken by segments between two HPRP engines. They could involve completely separate underlying transport, framing, or link layers.
JPM: Agreed, will add.
Generally about the integer fields: I don't see any statements about the endianness of multi-octet integers. It would be good to be explicit about this, maybe at the start of Section 4.
JPM: Agreed, will add.
Is there an expected use/need/benefit from non-power-of-two encoded sizes? Is there any requirement for minimum-length encodings? Can an engine choose to just use 4-octet (or whatever other fixed length) encodings for everything (assuming it fits all needed values)?
JPM: Yes, an engine can fix any and all lengths, especially in avionics-world... We originally had a rationale document specified as a green book which described this, but since this is an orange book (and not subject to blue-book terseness), I'll add it as an intro-section.