[CESG] First cut at SEA intro for LIF

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 11 18:50:48 UTC 2024

Hi Tomaso,

Thanks for the feedback.  I think you got the point and offered up some useful suggestions.  I’ll stick my replies <<in-line>>.

Cheers, Peter

From: Tomaso.deCola at dlr.de <Tomaso.deCola at dlr.de>
Date: Thursday, April 11, 2024 at 11:37 AM
To: Shames, Peter M (US 312B) <peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov>, Asmar, Sami W (US 9100) <sami.w.asmar at jpl.nasa.gov>, Klaus-Juergen.Schulz at esa.int <Klaus-Juergen.Schulz at esa.int>
Cc: cesg at mailman.ccsds.org <cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] AW: First cut at SEA intro for LIF
Hi Peter,

thank you for sharing your cut on the SEA intro. Just some points for further converging also with the other areas:

  1.  Do you mean that each area presentation should start the Kerney graphic, highlighting the specific area of interest as you did with the red dashed box for the SEA part? I certainly see the value and the message to the audience (“look I’m here and deal with these assets”), but I’m afraid it is a bit difficult for the other areas, since they are more or less all going from one end to the other end, except probably SOIS. I think this could make sense if we take the animated version, remove the “lines and arrows” for the other areas and we keep those for our specific area.  <<With SIS a lot of what you do is end-to-end, but you could show that by tracing one (or more) of the appropriate paths.  For CSS it is all on the ground between MOC and GS.  For SOIS it is all on-board.  For SLS it is all over the space link, one link at a time.  For MOIMS it is really all in the MOC, but they do have ambitions for space.>>.
  2.  Slide 4 and following: I see on the space node BP running directly on top of USLP, but this is currently not supported since BP has to go at least over EPP or SPP.  <<I can/will modify the diagram for accuracy to show EPP over USLP.  It’s a “shim”, but a required one.>>.
  3.  Slides 5 and 6 show essentially the same protocol stack but the space-to-ground link is either RF (X-band in slide 5) or FSO (in slide 6). I’m wondering whether we really need two separated slides, while we could simply have  a single side with a layer “C&S (RF or FSO”) and below “PHY (RF or FSO)”. I’m distinguishing here C&S RF from FSO counterpart, since the recommended channel coding solutions are different.  <<I wanted to demonstrate that the bulk of our standards, which we designed in the RF world, will also work over optical (FSO) with little change except for the FSO PHY and C&S layers.  Slide 6 was intended to show the possibility of using “bespoke” comm services, but only if clearly defined “interoperability points” were carefully specified.  It’s a discussion point>>.

Regards,

Tomaso