[CESG] CCSDS Resolution SEA-R-2023-10-001, appointment of Marcus Wallum as the SEA Security WG Deputy Chair

Ignacio Aguilar Sanchez Ignacio.Aguilar.Sanchez at esa.int
Wed Oct 11 13:16:40 UTC 2023

Dear Peter, Daniel and CESG colleagues,

I would like to raise a point concerning the appointments for WG Chairs and Co-chairs as per CCSDS Org & Proc, A02.1-Y-4c2.

Based on recent CMC and CESG correspondence (Optical WG Chair, SEA Sec Deputy Chair, MOIMS SM&C WG Deputy Chair) there seem to be at least two ways in which a WG Chair and Co-chair can be nominated.

In SLS we follow the (lengthy) process dictated by Sec. 2.3.3.4. It involves CMC. Such process is identified as a Cor. 2 in the document, which I interpret as a most recent modification.

In SEA and MOIMS reference is made to a specific CESG responsibility identified by Section 2.3.2.3, n) “Approving WG Chairs and Deputy Chairs”.

It shall be mentioned that such responsibility is the first sentence found in Sec. 2.3.3.4

As far as I understand, the absence of alternative candidates to those proposed by an Area Director can only be formally established by applying the procedure in Sec. 2.3.3.4.

In the case of the Optical WG Chair, following the mailing to CMC I have received a request a few days later from one of our main space agencies asking for the remaining time they had to propose a candidate. I referred to Sec. 2.3.3.4 and the 30 calendar days established for an existing WG.

I believe we should discuss this point as soon as possible and hopefully agree on what the applied procedure shall be.

Kind regards,

Ignacio

Ignacio Aguilar Sánchez
Communication Systems Engineer
Electrical Engineering Department

European Space Research and Technology Centre
Keplerlaan 1, PO Box 299, 2200 AG Noordwijk, The Netherlands
Mob.+31641360257
Fax  +31715655418