[CESG] OMG SW Defined Radio (SDR) spec, was: Workshop on Innovative Technologies for Space Optics, 6 - 10 November 2023, ESTEC, The Netherlands

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 8 19:16:41 UTC 2023

Dear Jonathan, Ignacio, Bernie, et al,

I have recently been in discussion with Steve Laird of the OMG.  What prompted this was the announcement that OMG was producing a standard for “optical space communications”.  Since this appeared, at first blush, to be squarely in the CCSDS “territory” I found it somewhat alarming and asked for more details.

Having now had the time (and the current document) to review what I believe that they are proposing my own concerns have abated.  That said, I am sending this on to you to alert you as to what is in process and to see if this is something you wish to engage with for any reason.  The current Space Telecommunications Interface (STI) spec, which is focused on RF comms, is attached.  What is apparently proposed it to extend this nominally RF spec to also include optical comm.  And there appears to be some intent on the part of OMG to make this into an ISO spec and to offer it up to CCSDS as well, in some capacity.  See comments below.

After looking over the spec it seems pretty clear to me that this is only vaguely related to CCSDS interests in any way.  The spec is really an abstract definition of the interfaces and functions of a generic software defined radio (SDR).  It does distinguish application interfaces, internal functions for signal processing (digital data and “waveforms”), and radio/hardware and system control interfaces.  It mentions CCSDS only once, in the form of identifying CCSDS (& IP) “networking functions”.  There is no mention at all of any CCSDS standards for data link, coding, modulation, networking or upper layer functions.

My analysis is that this most closely meets the CCSDS document type of Magenta Book.  It might be of interest to the SOIS Area, largely because it is intended to be a description of what might become a flight hardware component.  In its form it is a rather thorough, and relatively well done, abstract model of radio functionality and it provides a set of APIs, all documented using SysML.  I am sure that it could be extended to adopt SOIS EDS as interface specifications, SLS link, coding, and modulation specs, and even SIS DTN specs, but it does not now make any reference to any of these.   Nor does it presently cover anything related to optical comm, although that is supposed to be supported in the next iteration.

Please review the attached spec and reach your own conclusions.  And ask if this is something that we would get any value out of endorsing.

Thanks, Peter