[Sois-tcons] RE: [Sois-tcoa] Simplified TCONS Services Reference Model

Abhijit Sengupta Abhijit.Sengupta at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Mar 11 14:45:49 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Schnurr <Rick.Schnurr at nasa.gov>
Date: Friday, March 11, 2005 10:42 am
Subject: Re: [Sois-tcons] RE: [Sois-tcoa] Simplified TCONS Services  Reference Model

> Hi Abhijit,
>
> I still think you are confusing services with protocols.  Lets
> keep
> protocols out of this diagram.

No I am not. SCPS suite does not define services - it defines a set of protocols. What I meant in my previous posting and diagram is:
(1) SCPS-TP (or SCPS-NP) was used to represent the transport (or network) service of SCPS (I did not find any specific service specification - all I cvould is protocol specification) - it will fine if instead of SCPS-TP, the box is called SCPS Transport service - similar is for SCPS-NP
(2) I agree that it is a good idea to keep only the services in the diagram and not the protocol (keeping mind what each service box provides)

> In reality for GSFC the proximate spacecraft service might be a
> AOS link or
> some other link.  The protocol on top might be Prox-1 and there
> might very
> well be a connection to the on board network (OBL or TCONS) of
> some sort
> between the radio and the application gateway.  Your picture does
> not
> support this because specific protocols with a specific layer
> structure are
> specified.

As I mentioned in my previous posting, to interface between radio and some other onboard link some application layer intervention would be needed, and justifiably so.