[Sois-tcons] RE: [Sois-tcoa] Simplified TCONS Services Reference Model

Richard Schnurr Rick.Schnurr at nasa.gov
Fri Mar 11 13:18:11 EST 2005

Hi Kieth,

I think some projects might implement a monolithic architecture and some
might implement a dual stack with a gateway.

The service interfaces we have support both if the TCONS network is an
exposed service and the scheduling is done at the top of the network
service.  Indeed this is required by the current picture since the
scheduled service, best effort service, etc must be moderated onto the OBL.

So I say again and I think I am in agreement with you that we must support
three possibilities:

         1) No TCONS: IP directly to OBL abstraction
         2) IP to the top of the TCONS network service.
         3) IP to the top of the TCONS transport.

Options 1 and 3 are already on the diagram.  I think adding a service
access point to the TCONS network implements 2 on paper.  The prototypes
the Agencies/industries choose to build will determine what actually gets
supported.  Remember this is a service diagram.  In reality a little camera
at the end of a CAN subnet may not implement much of this at all.  For
example it might only implement OBL and need the help of the C&DH to
gateway into a full stack.

Another mission might only implement the Best effort another only the
guaranteed service.  Another might only implement the scheduled
service.  If only one service is implemented then the no additional
overhead needs to be present.

I think you are correct Keith it is time to start looking at the
protocol/PDU view of the world.  This is where your additional overhead
argument would be won.

My next Email will assume we are starting a new diagram showing the SOIS
protocol view.  IE lets start arguing over what is actually included in the
OBL abstraction layer and TCONS network layer protocol
descriptions.  PDU's, logical interfaces, packet formats over specific bus
like spaceWire.

Rick