[Sois-tcons] RE: [Sois-tcoa] Simplified TCONS Services Reference Model

Richard Schnurr Rick.Schnurr at nasa.gov
Fri Mar 11 11:40:03 EST 2005

Hi Keith,

The access point for IP/NP to the scheduled service, at this point, is the
TCONS scheduled service interface.

Yes, there is a buried service a the top of TCONS networking which makes
sure the best effort and guaranteed service do not conflict with the
scheduled service.  One could think of this as an arbitration although it
is a multi thread, multi-platform arbitration, if multiple sub-networks are
available.  Once this is better defined it might be appropriate to expose
it as a service for public use.  In reality if one exposes the TCONS
network service this buried arbitration is exposed since the SDU's from
another service like IP must be coordinated with the TCONS scheduled
service SDU's.

So it is imperative that all the services that will be exposed to the world
be marked with at red dot.  Otherwise the drawing is not complete enough to
argue over and I for one would like to complete the arguments on the
drawing before the meeting.

If TCONS is not implemented on a S/C then IP/NP could go direct to the OBL
abstraction layer and an implementation would be free to implement whatever
priority/scheduling were appropriate.  So we are back to the real question
of how should IP and TCONS/SOIS interact.  Personally I think IP/NP packets
should use one of the transport services of TCONS or go direct to the OBL
abstraction layer if TCONS is not implemented.  (My opinion,  Fire me if
you like).

One thing that is not mentioned is the scheduled service for TCONS is not
defined and we have not completed a prototype of a traditionally scheduled
bus like 1553.  So some of this will likely change anyway.

Deciding how IP/NP packets will be transported in SOIS is not imperative
right now since multiple answers exist. Lets work on the problems we don't
have answerers for.  Personally I think the programs will decide this
question anyway.  The Internet supports multiple solutions like: IP
directly on Ethernet, IP mobility tunnels,  IP tunneled over ssh,  IP
tunneled through a GRE tunnel, and two flavors of IPSEC tunneling not to
mention the strangeness of PPOE (now this one is ugly but I use it every
day). What makes us think SOIS network will be any different.  I personally
use 3 of these IP tunneling mechanisms every day.  There will be multiple
ways of implementing tunneling and direct connect using SOIS we should not
imagine that we can dictate the correct solution.  Many of us think that IP
mobility combined with IPSEC (or flight versions of the same) are the right
model for the far future so if we are going to talk about how to get IP
from space to ground we should include discussion of Mobility security and
tunneling to the MOCC and SOC.  I think all these discussions are outside
the SOIS scope.

Cheers,
Rick