[Sois-tcons] RE: reference model (2 levels of SOIS-compliance)

Jane K. Marquart Jane.K.Marquart at nasa.gov
Wed Mar 2 10:15:09 EST 2005

Hi Max,

Hope you're feeling better.  The flu has nailed quite a few people around
here too.

I have to agree with Steve that there can only be 1 common layer and 1
common protocol to achieve the SOIS goal of
interoperability.  Interoperability is the only reason for SOIS's
being.  There are plenty of other standards that can be, and are, used
onboard spacecraft.  TCP/IP and SCPS are some of the "others", but they are
not a SOIS protocol and are not SOIS-compliant (my opinion).  Rather, they
can be carried over a SOIS protocol.  If I were a user looking at this
diagram, I would assume I can use TCP/IP straight-up and be SOIS compliant,
which I believe is not the case.  I don't think we are precluding the
system engineer from trying other transport or network protocols but they
have to meet the SOIS protocols and service interface BOTH.  Just meeting
the service interface does not support the purpose of
SOIS.....interoperability.

Let's take MTS.  I'm assuming that I can go out and find COTS middleware
that may be compatible with MTS, can be carried by the MTS protocol, or I
can build one to comply.  Does that mean I put all the possible middlewares
in this diagram?  Also, there's nothing to say that I can't write my own
network and transport code to meet the TCONS spec, but that's not shown in
the diagram either.  TCP/IP carried over SOIS to me is an implementation
(which is my favorite way to look at these things, but I'm trying to resist
and do better at that "abstraction" view!)

As for other e-mails, I think the sub-net independent has ping-ponged back
and forth between the network and data link layers.  Last I remember, its
part of the data link.  I think we at GSFC got tired of the long name and
started calling it the OBL generic (unofficially of course!).  Is OBL
independent, and OBL dependent an option?

Lastly, should "services from OBL" extend into the physical layer?  I don't
think we have any control over the physical layer, which is what this
implies to me.

Anyway, that's my chime in!
Jane