[Sois-tcons] TCONS rationale

Chris Plummer c.plummer at skynet.be
Fri Apr 1 07:16:26 EST 2005

Yes, that's the right direction in my view.

A couple of points to throw into the mix. For the OBL stuff and the fact
that we have to "pander" to such horrors as 1553, there is a subtle reason
for this. 1553, and other similar buses like ESA OBDH impose some limits on
the way you do things. In the old days, spacecraft that adopted these buses
were obliged to work within those limits and there flight architecture and
the way the software was designed was basically driven by this. Subsequent
missions tend to base themselves on what went before to a greater or lesser
degree and therefore generate specifications that are similar to preceding
spacecraft. When you design a spacecraft based on these specs, you find that
not surprisingly, they can be implemented quite nicely on 1553 like buses.
So we have a self reinforcing feedback system that is based on outdated
considerations that no one seems prepared to challenge seriously. This
fundamentally is why projects do not give proper consideration to the choice
of onboard bus, and why we keep having 1553 and its like thrust upon us. I
think the OBL concepts as they were originally conceived back in 2001 break
this unhealthy feedback loop and open the way to making a better informed
selection of the onboard bus, but we have not promulgated this concept
sufficiently well.

As for the application needs, onboard systems are typically run on
synchronous distributed deterministic schedules at the moment, largely
because that is the way they have been done before, and that is what the
current onboard buses seem to support best. There are a few systems that are
breaking away from this model (including things like OBOSS) which are based
on asynchronous operation and the exchange of short (10 to 20 octet) fully
delimited messages. As Steve pointed out yesterday there are also users who
want to transfer enormous images and usually get dedicated links to do this.
However, while these latter applications might look like candidates for a
stream service, I would contend that this is actually a very risky and
inefficient way of transferring such data. In fact, I cannot imagine any
data, even in terrestrial applications, that is naturally suited to a
streaming service!

Let's look very carefully at the formats of the data that onboard users want
to exchange, and the size and frequency of exchange.

Chris.

  _____