[Sois-tcoa] Time Distribution Service - additional primitives?

Chris Plummer c.plummer at skynet.be
Mon Mar 21 13:22:52 EST 2005

Stuart,

At a quick glance these all look like familiar primitives that we have
discussed many times in the past. Based on those discussions, I have a few
comments:

Firstly, the WAIT_FOR_TIME.REQUEST/INDICATION pair (horrible names by the
way, let's start using proper ISO naming conventions for the primitives can
we?) are an obvious extension to the basic GetTimeReq/Ind pair, and turn the
simple wall clock into an alarm clock. This has been proposed many times in
the past and we have always decided not to include it because a) we did not
have a strongly expressed user requirement for it, and b) because it implies
a bit more complexity in the service implementation. Looks like you got
somebody to express a firm user requirement for this, which therefore
justifies the additional complexity in an implementation.

However, I'm not sure that it is appropriate for every implementation of the
service in every node. I suspect that there are plenty of users who really
do only require wall clock functionality. So I think we need to offer this
as an optional capability.

While we are looking into this, we should also revive the periodic call
capability that has been discussed in the past. Here the user requests a
periodic call at some predefined (low) frequency, for example a signal at
every minute on the minute. Most users who want the WAIT_FOR_TIME type
capability are also interested in this periodic signal. However, specifying
the primitives and details of the capability provided can be a little bit
tricky, and is often contentious. In other words this can be a can of worms
and we should be careful about whether we really want to open it.

Secondly, the management primitives that you are suggesting. In my view,
these do not square at all with the time distribution service that I at
least have in mind. This would suggest that there are still some fundamental
clarifications to be made with respect to this service, or that I have
completely misunderstood your intention with this. In a nutshell my
objection is that adding these primitives means that the user can adjust the
time that the local time distribution entity provides, and this just
violates the whole idea of distributing a correlated reference time in the
first place. So I think we need to have some serious discussion about
whether these primitives belong in the service or not.

Cheers,
        Chris.