[Sois-tcoa] Re: Status of SOIS?

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 14 13:30:44 EDT 2005

At 09:56 AM 6/14/2005, Patrick.Plancke at esa.int wrote:
>I forgot that we do not use the same metrics.

Patrick: the metrics of the CCSDS are those that are visible to its primary
customers. The CCSDS.org website is the primary portal by which the outside
world measures our progress and products. If your work isn't visible via
ccsds.org, you may as well not exist.

>About SOIS mailing list, the lists who are the more currently used by
>working people  are the TCONS and TCOAS (the SOIS main list includes too
>many observers that do not contribute but only listen).

The whole point of a mailing list is to communicate, even to observers. Not
using a public list implies that nothing is going on. So what if people
don't contribute? They can always unsubscribe if they get bored or
overloaded by the traffic. But in case of doubt, *communicate*.

>For the CWE, did you look to the private documents, for example in
>TCONS  you have documents uploaded 13 and 14 June or the Wireless BOF ?

The private areas are only accessible to people who have CWE log-in
authority. As material becomes ready to expose to public scrutiny it should
always be moved over to the public folder. How else can the outside world
possibly see what's going on? In the last few months I have had multiple
people ask what is happening in SOIS, and I've been embarrassed to find
that there is NOTHING on public view. It appears as if the whole Area is
simply doing nothing.

A standards organization should, if nothing else, be open. Documents should
only be hidden from public view in their earliest stages. Once you get to a
White Book stage, mark the document prominently as a draft and move it to
the WG's Public folder. That way you let a lot of outside people see what
is going on and, occasionally, you may get a really insightful comment from
someone who is not intimately involved with the development.

Go take a look at http://www.dtnrg.org. If those guys can develop complex
specifications in public, why can't SOIS?

>Anyway , we acknowledge the message.  Can TCOAS upload the red books ready
>for reviews on the CWE ?

Of course. Why haven't the White Books been in the Public CWE folders for
months?

///adrian