[cssm] Small question to WG

Barkley, Erik J (US 3970) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 1 16:49:14 UTC 2023

It may be something we want to leave for implementation check.  To the best of my knowledge, a regex to match a range of 1—366 (which fits with CCSDS Time code B) tends to be nontrivial to write and harder for mere mortals to read.  Regex does not really understand numeric ranges as it is more about pattern matching.  We could improve this with a relatively minor mod to the the regex for the day of year portion, i.e, [0-3][0-6][0-9] but this would allow the “patterns” 367, 367, 369 (but of course we would want to allow 359”) So still some minor checking.  This would maintain the leading zeroes for the earlier days of the year – ie., “001”, “002”, etc. If you really want to check for just 1..366 as a range, then we probably have a regex something along the lines of  (?:36[0-6]|3[0-5][0-9]|[12][0-9]{2}|[1-9]?[0-9]), but this would not allow “001;, just the ”range” of “1” to “366”.  And of course you would still have to further check that 366 is only used on those leap year occasions.    So perhaps either the relatively minor mod  (  [0-3][0-6][0-9]  )or just leave it as it is.