[cssm] Data format version number?

Martin.Unal at esa.int Martin.Unal at esa.int
Mon Feb 21 10:26:18 UTC 2022

Hello

Having the standard version of the format in the header will allow
handling of backward compatibility.
I don't think it is highly critical, as which version shall be used will
be part of the user-provider agreement. So the version information shall
already be known by design.
But it doesn't hurt to have it clearly stated in the header.

I am more worried by "The version of the information entity. This
increments every time an information entity of the same concrete type,
status, and time range is generated (i.e., has the same startTime and
endTime). NOTE ? The version may increment by 1 every time but is not
constrained to do so. The only constraint is that each version number is
greater than the previous."

Such information is sensitive to database reset. It requires on its own a
complete definition of its usage to handle discontinuity in the "version"
handling.
e.g. How do you trigger a reset of version in case the user/provider DB go
out of sync ? How do you handle error detection in its usage.
That would require its own standard to be of use.

As the notion of entity "version" will only be used for some
user/provider, and its handling will be different for each pair. I think
it shall go out of the standard and inserted as Extended Parameter
whenever its presence is required. Doing so, it will allow to support
different "version" concept in a single implementation as the parameters
will have different names.

Regards
Martin UNAL
Ground Operation Manager