[cssm] Fw: DDOR configuration template

Barkley, Erik J (US 3970) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu May 21 21:42:58 UTC 2020

Dear Martin,

Now that I finally have a copy of what you sent to Colin, of course, I have some comments :-)

First, the instance document is not quite proper XML -- at least as Oxygen on this end looks at it. Please see the screenshot below. Attached is what I believe to be a properly formed version of the instance document.

To set the context, as I recall, the basic question was whether or not we needed to look at another standard or augmentation to the SMURF to accommodate the interagency ground sequence for conducting a DDOR observation. I think the answer tends to be yes to the general question here. Presumably the spacecraft event sequence will cover when DOR tones are on/off but then of course there is the scan pattern and that has to be coordinated between multiple agencies. I think the instance you have submitted is a step in the right direction.  Here are some comments, questions, observations:

  1.  It seems like this is something of a cross between a template and a fully stated instance. For each of the targets to be in the scan pattern, there appears to be a presumption that the scan will start at BOT plus the delay. Is it fair to assume that the DDOR supports for a mission will always fit this kind of pattern?  I suspect the answer is no and that there are either multiple patterns.  At a minimum, depending upon whether the groundstation is the "incoming" groundstation with regard to communications geometry or the "outgoing" groundstation then this would probably also have to have something that is stated as the offset relative to the EOT? Or perhaps we should think about allowing absolute times to be stated?
  2.  Recevier_2 -- this seems like an internal concern to the implementation -- I think for international standard the main thing would be to have the scan pattern identified and not which particular (open-loop) receiver is being used.
  3.  Given that DDOR requires a fair amount of interagency coordination and there are constraints with regard to communication geometries and quasar of visibility, should there be some sort of provision for indicating the ground stations involved in this? I'm not sure that this is really needed but then again it does seem like if we are doing this interagency the data standard has to allow for being very precise and clear as to the exact apertures being requested to support the scan pattern -- that of course could be indicated in the aperture constraints of the SMURF.

Assuming you can attend our teleconference on May 26, I look forward to discussing this further.