[cssm] SACP Schema Development - yet another Update

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Fri May 1 19:50:13 UTC 2020

Erik,
I think that you are misinterpreting the containment hierarchy of the XML schema/document. One could get the impression from your example that to "name" a parameter you have to crawl the hierarchy. That's not true - e.g., the name of tcPlopSyncMaxCltuLength parameter of the TcPlopSyncAndChnlEncode FR (i.e., encoder) that appears in the configuration profile is {<FrNickname for the TcPlopSyncAndChnlEncode FR>: "tcPlopSyncMaxCltuLength"}. Rather than repeat the <FrNickname for the TcPlopSyncAndChnlEncode FR> for every parameter, we leverage XML to let us collect all of the TcPlopSyncAndChnlEncode parameters under the same Nickname.

You tend to draw your examples from the lowest couple of layers of the space communications "stack" (aperture, space link carrier, coding) where indeed in most cases there are only one instance of each type of FR and therefore only one instance of each parameter of each FR. So for those layers, indeed, you can have a flat list of "ForwardProfileParameters". And in fact the functional resource naming conventions give unique names to every parameter, so for those parameters that appear once and once only in a configuration profile, one *could* just get away with using the parameter names (e.g., tcPlopSyncMaxCltuLength )and ignoring the nickname of the FR instances that contain them.

However, when you get "above" the coding layer, then you start getting multiple instances of the same FR types, and each of those instances has its own "copy" of the configuration parameters that applies to that instance. E.g., each one of possibly multiple master channels has its own set of configuration parameters, and each of the virtual channels of each of those master channels has *its* own set of configuration parameters, and (on the forward link) each virtual channel has its own set of MAP channels, each with its own set of configuration parameters. We use the XML containment hierarchy to define, for example, which set of VC Generation parameters applies to the VC #4 that feeds Master Channel 0, and which set of VC Generation parameters applies to the VC #4 that feeds Master Channel 1. I think that your flat-list approach would get awkward dealing with these kinds of configuration parameters.

I look forward to Monday's discussion.

Best regards,
John