[cssm] Discussion of the revisions to the CCSDS 313.2-Y-2

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 4 19:59:03 UTC 2020

Erik, et al,

Thanks for the good discussion today about the revisions to the Procedures for SANA Registry Specification, CCSDS 313.2-Y-2 document.  You made some specific requests that I have marked in the attached version of the document, in sec 3.1 and 3.2.  The attached version is Tom's revisions of the edited version that you have in hand, also including some edits that Tom, Marc, and I made yesterday and my notes from today's discussion with you.

At this point we plan to go ahead with the request for CESG review.  It will always be possible for Erik, or other CESG members, to raise PIDs and request further changes during that process.  That said, please keep in mind that we are trying to produce something here that is, at the same time, clear enough for WG (and CESG, SANA & Secretariat) to understand, compact enough that it is not a burden to read, broad enough to cover the essential subject matter, and not too constrained as to disallow flexibility to handle off-nominal cases that may arise.  We are still finding our way in this world of registries and we do not want to over-constrain this with procedures that are too "heavy" and thus immediately out of date.

A certain amount of engineering judgement will be needed.  That said, we think this version of the doc is pretty close to that sweet spot.

Best regards, Peter