[cssm] DDOR Scan Pattern format proposal

Martin.Unal at esa.int Martin.Unal at esa.int
Tue Aug 25 08:25:56 UTC 2020

Hello

The differences, elaborated as comments in the XML instance document, are:
1.      Removal  of the service indication as the DDOR service would
already be indicated in the SMURF
OK - redundant information shall be removed

2.      Removal of the account of scan targets as each target has an
ordinal number assigned to it so it is quite trivial to determine the
number of targets if that is needed (and less error-prone)
OK - redundant information shall be removed

3.      addition of a reference to the carrier configuration profile for
the spacecraft(s) participating in the DDOR observation (in turn this will
indicate the frequency band as well as provide information for the DOR
tones from the spacecraft(s))
OK - I suggest to group the targets description at the start.
This to remove all possibility to have inconstent data.
Target description shall point to the SANA name, may include the relevant
"flux" or configuration ("carrierRef") information
DDOR target per scan only refers to the target named defined to remove
redundant information (possibly inconsistent) in each call

4.      The absolute start time for the scan pattern has been added --
this will help to verify that the scan pattern time fits with the set of
activities scheduled
Where are defined the "activity times" ? If the information is already
present in the SMURF or in the service package, it shall not be present
again in the DDOR description. Otherwise each team will look at different
value, inconsistence will not be detected and service will be lost.

5.      a slew time that can be stated for each target rather than a
uniform slew time ? this may allow for optimization such that a DDOR
measurement that could not be achieved via fixed slew times can be
achieved if the overall amount of time spent slewing is reduced (of course
this would be subject to negotiation, but the purpose here is to allow for
expression of the information and not to specify behavior)
 I disagree. The DDOR service description has to specify the behaviour.
DDOR is typically a service which can be implemented by multiple party. If
you give freedom on the slew time, one will optimise the slew, the other
not. Measurement will be taken at different times and correlation will not
be possible.
What the point of optimising 30s per slew ? I don't believe 5 minute extra
have ever prevented feasibility of a DDOR. Low benefit, high cost.
"optional" items are cost and complexity drivers for the implementation.
If you say you need it, it shall be present all the time. Otherwise,
better drop it.

Here is a xml view of my proposal. I have left a "slew per scan" attribute
and the absoluteStartTime for the discussion.

Regards
Martin UNAL
Ground Operation Manager
Ground Facilities Ops HSO - ONO
H-376
ESOC
Robert-Bosch Strasse 5
64 293 Darmstadt
Germany
Tel +49 6151 90 2959

Hello Martin (and my apologies for the earlier incorrect spelling),

The DDOR WG Chair (Jim Border) and I have had an exchange with regard to
the proposed scan pattern for inclusion in the SMURF.  Attached please
find a proposed scan pattern format -- a sample XML instance document and
a pictorial representation. This is largely based on the pattern you have
proposed.

[...]

My sense is that we are close to a very good workable format. I look
forward to your comments.