[Smwg] Action from January telecon -- PIF user parameter

Barkley, Erik J (3970) Erik.J.Barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 13 19:15:13 UTC 2019

Hello Colin,

I took an action at the January telecon to provide some verbiage for the description of the PIF user parameters.  Please see item 7 from the email below for more context.

Here is my proposed verbiage for adding a note to clarify what "user" means in the context of a PIF:

Note: For earth based apertures, the user is typically a spacecraft that is either using a particular set of ground station apertures or will potentially use those apertures. This is in keeping with a traditional notion of service-provider vs service-user. For off-earth based apertures, the "user" is typically a spacecraft providing relay services for the off-earth based aperture (which is likely to be rover or other in-situ asset).   Broader terms that encompass both of these cases are "observer" and "observed".  In all cases the aperture is considered to be the "observer" and the spacecraft for which communication geometry is requested is the "observed".   This recommendation retains the term "user" to be consistent with a common data header for all of service management, but the term "user" can and should be read as "observed" for this recommendation.

The more I look at this I can't help but think we could "fix" this at the "source" - ie., provide some abstract definition at the level of common data entities header, with the data format recommendations subsequently putting their unique instance terms in as needed.  Having said that, I think it is only the PIF that has this "issue", so it may be better just to leave this as a note in the PIF itself.