[Smwg] AI2017-0512-54: Create draft Tech Note on State Machines

Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-LCN0)[MTI SYSTEMS, INC.] wesley.m.eddy at nasa.gov
Mon Oct 1 16:25:12 UTC 2018

Hi Marcin, I like your proposal to fix and simplify the way that the service package status is indicated.

To be clear, we currently have two fields:

-          servicePackageResultStatus (can be TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED, PARTIALLY SCHEDULED, or FULLY SCHEDULED)

-          servicePackageResultType (can be NEW, UPDATE, ALTERNATE, FLEXIBILITY CHANGE)
And both are optional.

If I understand correctly, you think it would be better to consolidate to a single more explicit indication of the service package state, like:

-          servicePackageStatus (can be CREATED, SCHEDULED, ALTERNATIVE, EXECUTING, REJECTED, CANCELLED, ABORTED, ARCHIVED)

This seems basically good to me.  Two questions I have are:

1)      Should the servicePackageStatus be mandatory?  I think so.  I'm not sure why the original book had the equivalent fields as optional.

2)      How are the 3 degrees of being scheduled that the old fields conveyed (tentative, partial, or full) reflected in the state machine?