[Smwg] AI2017-0512-54: Create draft Tech Note on State Machines

Shames, Peter M (312B) Peter.M.Shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 1 15:14:59 UTC 2018

Dear Marcin & SMWG,

I have not (yet) studied this doc in detail, but I read the first few pages and I have a fundamental question to ask.  Is it really the case that you define "Information Entities" to have states and behaviors, or is it the case that the (undefined) processes that manipulate and exchange these Information Entities have states and behaviors?

I tend to think of "Information" as being defined as data plus meta-data.  And I think of an Information Entity as being an instance of an abstract information object.  These entities carry information, and they may undergo transformation, extension, annotation, using well specified rules, but they do not, in an of themselves have behavior.  Function have behaviors, and functions may specify that behavior using a state machine, or a sequence or activity diagram.  I do think you can specify the expected evolution of an Information Entity using an activity diagram to show the flow from one configuration to another, but this is different than saying that it has behavior, rather that it is modified by the behavior of the functions that manipulate it.

If this sounds way off base please help me to understand the way you are using these basic terms because I think it is disjoint from the CCSDS norms.

Thanks, Peter