[Smwg] action 2018-0410-06 on ExternalXref in Service Package

Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-LCN0)[MTI SYSTEMS, INC.] wesley.m.eddy at nasa.gov
Tue Jun 12 16:39:26 UTC 2018

Hi, this is a follow-up to the action (2018-0410-06) that was assigned to me, to figure out whether to change or remove the ExternalXref from the service package.

The only contents of the ExternalXref is a single field "externalXrefID" that is "used to reference a request ID assigned by the user when submitting the originating Service Package Request".

Keep in mind that ServicePackageResults already contains the serviceReqID (service request identifier), so linking back via that is already possible.  This seems to be offering another optional way to link back via another user-provided ID.  But how many different ways do we need to link back to the request?

There was discussion about whether this could simply be deleted, or if it would be useful to instead use it to link together multiple related service packages.  I think it should be deleted, since its semantics are too vague as just an "ExternalXref" about what it's supposed to be indicating.  If we need to add means to link related service packages, then it can be done more clearly and explicitly.

Does this make sense?