[Smwg] [Css-csts] Using functional resources internally within a Provider CSSS

Holger.Dreihahn at esa.int Holger.Dreihahn at esa.int
Mon Jul 30 09:38:49 UTC 2018

Hi Erik,
The idea of using the FRMs also for an internal implementation has of
course several potential 'pitfalls' but also some justification:

1) The FRMs must be able to give a comprehensive (high-level) view on a
ground station for a cross support scenario - otherwise it is useless
2) if 1) is true, we asked ourselves at ESA if we can use FRMs for a
general high-level view on all stations - those provided by external
providers and the ESA internal ones
3) Of course you need to implement in addition a much more detailed,
equipment specific low level M&C - finally you must be able to diagnose
and address all the low level details. Yes, the mapping of the low level
to the high level is needed and far from trivial.
4) We need to provide / use FRM based views anyway for external
stations...

Maybe we can discuss this layered approach if it is really so horrified or
if there is some sense to it.

Best regards,
Holger

Holger Dreihahn
European Spacecraft Operations Centre | European Space Agency | S-431
+49 6151 90 2233 | http://www.esa.int/esoc

From:   "Barkley, Erik J (3970)" <erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov>
To:     John Pietras <john.pietras at gst.com>, "CCSDS SMWG ML
(smwg at mailman.ccsds.org)" <smwg at mailman.ccsds.org>, "CCSDS_CSTSWG