[Smwg] Next draft XFDU for TGFT Tech Note

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Mon Apr 24 14:05:25 UTC 2017

Erik,
Based on a long conversation Colin and I had the week before last, I've made some significant changes to the Tech Note, a major one being that the XFDU Package can now contain multiple payload data files. The other major changes are:

a)      the content model is further simplified to eliminate the possibility of having metadata file content and payload data file content embedded within the XFDU Manifest itself. All payload data files are distinct files contained within the zipped/tarred XFDU Package file, and all metadata files are either contained within the zipped/tarred XFDU Package file or external to the XFDU Package altogether.

b)      The OAIS-specific metadata types and their associated classifications and categories have been removed from the "standard" TGFT XFDU. That is, in general, services will simply use the anyMDID attribute to cross-reference to metadata elements. (Services could still use the OAIS-specific metadata types if they are applicable, but such usage would have to be introduced and defined by the service specifications themselves).

I've briefly skimmed through your comments, and I see that at least several of them deal with the one vs. multiple payload file issue. I think some of the others have been rendered OBE  by the most recent version, which I have published to the CWE this morning at URL
https://cwe.ccsds.org/css/docs/CSS-SM/CWE%20Private/Terrestrial%20Generic%20File%20Transfer%20Book/XFDU_for_TGFT_TechNote-v0.4-170424.docx

Unfortunately, at this point I've burned through the time that I have allotted to this topic before the Spring meeting, so I won't be able to issue an update that specifically addresses your comments. But I'll read through your comments before the spring meeting and we can discuss them then.

Best regards,
John