[Smwg] [SMWG]: Action to provide definition for FWD and RTN COMS START and END events

Chamoun, Jean-pierre (GSFC-450.0)[MTI SYSTEMS, INC.] jean-pierre.chamoun at nasa.gov
Mon Nov 14 15:16:38 UTC 2016

Good afternoon Colin,

Here is my description of the what I understood to be our latest definition for FWD/RTN COMS STAR/END events.

The forward and Return Communication Start and End events are used by the provider to specify the possible start and end of communication service windows to a user platform, relative to any and all limitations and constraints under which that provider can execute user services.  The specific limitations and constraints are not implied and are left up to the provider to consider, so long as the user platform can plan and request any service whose Start and End times are contained (inclusive) within the timeframe bounded by the COMS_START and COMS_END events.

Typical limitations and constraints accounted for when defining the COMS_START and COMS_END events are constraints associated with antenna elevation, cable wrap, visibility masks, slew rates, etc.  Constraints that are specific to a service type or a user mission such as limitations due to service frequency band or a user’s platform communication equipment, or constraints defined by a particularService Agreement, are not typically included in the COMS_START and COMS_END events.

The table of events could read as follows:

Ret-Coms-Start

Start of possible Return communication window with respect the Provider’s constraints for tracking and receiving a return signal

Ret-Coms-End

End of possible Return communication window with respect the Provider’s constraints for tracking and receiving a return signal

Fwd-Coms-Start

Start of possible Forward communication window with respect the Provider’s constraints for tracking and transmitting a forward signal

Fwd-Coms-End

End of possible Forward communication window with respect the Provider’s constraints for tracking and transmitting a forward signal

In the rare event that I didn’t quite hit the mark … we can discuss in today …

--
Jean-Pierre Chamoun
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

Tel: 301-286-5053