[Smwg] Input re action 2015-0327-2 (range rate)

Barkley, Erik J (3970) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri May 29 19:56:30 UTC 2015

CSSM Colleagues,

In response to the action item  2015-0327-2, "Is range rate required for the communication geometry",  it is at least highly desirable for the DSN and its supported missions if not absolutely required. There have been cases where range rate (and in particular translated to the frequency domain the Doppler dynamic) have been very useful to know about to ensure that an uplink can be delivered to the spacecraft so a not to go beyond the limits of its receiver even though the uplink is Doppler compensated (and this would seem to argue that range rate would be even more important for those TTC networks that do not perform uplink Doppler compensation). So my vote is that we include this information. Obviously the details will require some work.  I look forward to hearing from the other assignees of the action item.