[Smwg] RE: CCSDS - Creation of new registries.

Barkley, Erik J (3970) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 17 17:18:27 UTC 2015

Peter,
Thanks very much for sending along the asset database information. Interesting to note that the name or ID if the antenna is not unique. And in fact at least for the case of the NASA DSN antennas that I'm able to see in here none of the familiar DSS identifiers are called out at least in what shows up in the PDF  (it appears that they are just identified as "DSN").  This will not be of use to the schedule services book.  Obviously having an object identifier attached to each record would be useful from an overall information modeling point of view as we could probably get down to a globally unique record identifier for each information entity registered in the entire set of CCSDS registries. However, as has been noted in other conversation threads, related to this presenting operational folks with a string of digits that extends across the screen for a meters worth of printed characters is not going to be terribly conducive to operations. What is your take upon the schedule of services now putting further restrictions on existing information and registries?  The use case here is for a schedule item to identify, for example,  that Mars Express  (local identifier "MEX" - we may also need to consider tweeking the GSCID registry) will be tracking on DSS35  and not  just "DSN".    I do think that these kind of concerns (essentially intersection of use case vs information modeling) are going to be the tricky bits of business with more of a global registry approach.  An obvious solution for the SoS book is to define a new parameter to this registry and its entry form which would be something like "Schedulable Identifier".  But I'm not sure that is the best approach - yes it would tie the OID, but now you have two identifiers  -- although the current identifier scheme really does not appear to be a strict identifier as such and perhaps this parameter/attribute should be renamed - it seems rather free-wheeling in its semantics at the moment. Thoughts?
-Erik