[Smwg] Re: CSSM SoS book and in-progress new CCSDS registration policy -- analysis and comment

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 16 20:47:25 UTC 2015

Hi Erik,

Somehow I missed this diagram, glad you pointed me to it today.  I think it's a great start.  I took the liberty of embellishing it so that the picture now aligns with the revised text in the SCID, MACAO and SANA doc draft updates.  It now shows all of the org types, how they get created, who they appoint as reps, and how the rest of the core registry machinery fits together.  It still needs more details, but this is the rough shape of the whole picture of these core registries that I was trying to paint.

This shifts a few things around from what you showed, but not too much.  Assume that the attribute models for orgs and persons gets replicated (and embellished) as needed and that the other registry types get fleshed out as well based on the stuff in those draft docs.

Does this start to make more sense to everyone?

I actually think that the SANA and Secretariat folks are already moving in this direction, so I do not think that the overal framework will take that long to get sorted out.  They have realized, I believe, that having 10 of these registries and four of those registries just does not make sense and they are moving to fix it.  I did not try and show which of those orgs "owns" all of these registries, since the locaiton of the Organization and Person / Contacts registries are still somewhat fluid.  All of the others, however, are already in the SANA.  The biggest issue in my mind at this point is how to parse and handle the OID namespace (aside from what the SMWG and CSTS have already done).

Thanks, Peter