[Smwg] RE: Abstract service request telecon notes

Barkley, Erik J (3970) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 3 00:40:17 UTC 2015

Holger,

I recognize more or less the process you have described and there are definite similarities to what I am most familiar with in terms of business process model, lifecycle, for delivery of TT+C services for the DSN.    But there may be other organizations that don't quite do things the same way or perhaps are using a request in sense that does not have the all of the supporting details (such as service agreement, configuration profile, event sequence) etc. in place.  For example, assuming we are wildly successful (why not?) it may be that someday we have a normative recommendation includes  a request for creation of a service agreement.  It may be that there are constraints expressed for each service on an independent basis or at least in some relatively de-coupled manner.

Part of what we are attempting to do here is understand what are the components needed for a service request in the abstract and so this is probably best viewed as an M-2 model.   The idea is to understand  what and where are the functional points of articulations for requests in general.  Its kind of functional resources for service request.  At the M-2 level I tend to be satisfied that there is, in the abstract, a constraints function.  This then is an essential extensibility point  that can be subject to restrictions such as you indicated below (ie, constraints only on the entire package of services).

I think we will know more at our next discussion on this when we see the planning request vs (a more exact DDOR flavored) service package request being compared and contrasted.  In both cases there will likely be some sort of constraints, some sort of service configuration function, some sort of ability to reference other information, etc - these are the  items of primary interest at the moment.