[Smwg] SOS prototype test report finilization

Barkley, Erik J (3970) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jan 12 21:06:47 UTC 2015

Marcin,

Happy New Year to you as well.

Re prototype test report, I am a bit confused.  On the one hand you say that there were a few small changes, on the other hand you ask to us to admit that a lot has changed.   I think a couple of steps will help to sort this out:

1)      Cataloging the changes from prototype version to final version

2)      Assessing what is truly a significant semantic difference for each change

In performing the assessment I believe we need to keep in mind that the main point of the prototype interoperation is to prove the technical feasibility of being able to exchange information per the specification and that this does not pose a risk with respect to being unimplementable by member agencies, etc.    My sense is that from a semantic point of view there really isn't that much that has changed and it's really more a matter of having moved things around a bit in the data format definition and allowing for nesting of additional (implementation specific) parameters. I'm quite confident that modern-day computers can handle the adjustments to the schema and the ability to following nested set of parameters -- in other words if the set of changes are confined to this type of change I am not particularly worried that it poses an implementation problem for our agencies. On the other hand if you see some sort of issue whereby it could get semantically confused etc. that's certainly needs to be brought forward. In any case I look forward to discussing this at the teleconference tomorrow.