[SLS] Fw: [CESG] SLS Comments about RID template in excel format

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Mon Mar 5 12:46:08 UTC 2018

INFO

----- Forwarded by Gian Paolo Calzolari/esoc/ESA on 05/03/2018 13:45 -----

From:   Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
To:     "CCSDS CESG --" <cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>
Date:   05/03/2018 13:43
Subject:        [CESG] SLS Comments about RID template in excel format
Sent by:        "CESG" <cesg-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org>

Daer Margherita,
        here some SLS comments about the RID template in excel format

As already mentioned to you, my personal opinion is that excel misses
editorial (e.g. highlight, bold, etc.) and graphical possibilities.
As well entering more than a short sentence in an excel box is not what I
call comfortable.
Then,  if we do not go to a really integrated RID system, also considering
the volume of RIDs provided by each agency for a review we may better stay
with the text/WinWord template.

Additional comments here bellow.

1) I agree with your comments. The Secretariat could provide a summary
report of each agency’s RIDs by creating this excel spreadsheet, so that
an overview of the RIDs could be achieved with the exception that the
entire text field of the RID would not need to be duplicated in the excel
sheet report.
As a new format for RID entry, I also do not find the Excel format
hospitable nor would it be useful for adding supportive text etc.

2) talking as RFM WG chair, I would have severe problems with the Excel
format suggested for RIDs. In our group we have formulas and pictures to
handle and Excel is not good for that. My preference would be for a Word
version in which equations with revision marks can be easily inserted.

3) several of us have difficulty with several of the NASA flight projects
that have gone to excel for interface and other requirements.  We need
figures and equations to be with the issue at hand.

Best regards

Gian Paolo
This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee
or addressees only.
The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in
whole or in part) of its
content is not permitted.
If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete
it from your system.
Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the
sender.