[Sls-slp] RID resolution to AOS Space Data Link Protocol (SDLP) 732.0-B

Kazz, Greg (US 312B) greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 7 09:37:09 UTC 2023

Dear SLP WG,

I believe I sent out this provisional RID disposition to the SLP WG already, but since it the AOS SDLP pink sheet review is not over until Dec 11, I would like to see if we can come to consensus on the RID disposition at this Fall meeting.

I had planned to walk through it yesterday, but it seems to have fallen off the agenda.
Nevertheless, I do believe the solution is rather straightforward.

The RID comes from ESA (Andrea Modenini).
The subject is the expansion of the First Header Pointer in AOS SDLP from 11 bits to 16 bits, using the current 5 spare bits in the M_PDU header so that AOS can accommodate up to the maximum size transfer frames as USLP does, i.e., 64K frames.
The RID focuses on how CCSDS should reconcile legacy missions use with new mission use of this expanded field.

Attached as word document (which I have placed into the CWE)  is my provisional response to Andrea subject to your comments. Andrea has written me back and agrees that a NOTE is better than changing the normative text.

Please let me know if you have any concerns or issue with this resolution. Depending upon your replies, we will carry on by email. By 12/11/2023, we will see if any additional RIDs arrive and then we will need to disposition them by email as well.

Best regards,
Greg