[Sls-slp] Call for Use Cases of Space Packet Protocol

Shames, Peter M (312B) Peter.M.Shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 28 16:13:17 UTC 2019

Hi Jonathan,

I think you missed my point.  There are existing SPP secondary header formats that are already in use.  The ESA has PUS, the CCSDS MAL has theirs (not in wide use, but defined), and JPL has "standard" ways of using the SPP secondary header to transmit time codes.  This last is a sort of "CCSDS standard" in that it is recommended, but not required, in the SPP spec.

4.1.3.2.1.5  If present, the Packet Secondary Header shall consist of either:

a)      a Time Code Field (variable length) only;

b)      an Ancillary Data Field (variable length) only; or

c)      a Time Code Field followed by an Ancillary Data Field.

I believe you must accept this, and suggest that trying to change it at this point will doom you to failure.  There will surely be ESA feedback.

I will point out, however, that ESA effectively adopted option b) for the MAL SPP mapping, and that contains a "Version Number"  in the first field of the Secondary Header.  I have not looked to see if that is sufficiently general that it could be co-opted for this purpose.

Peter