[Sls-slp] Virtual Channel Packet (VCP) Service vs (SPP) Packet Service

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Tue Jan 30 17:22:54 UTC 2018

Dear Greg,
        first of all I think that a few years years we decided to rename
the Packet Service in the Space Data Link Protocols books to Virtual
Channel Packet (VCP) Service to avoid confusion wit the service defined in
SPP.

We shall also keep in mind that almost often the SDLP books leave
undefined some details of procedures left to "management". An example is
AOS section 4.2.5 VIRTUAL CHANNEL MULTIPLEXING FUNCTION only says (among
other things that
4.2.5.2 The Virtual Channel Multiplexing Function shall multiplex Transfer
Frames received from the instances of the Virtual Channel Generation
Function and, if present, the Virtual Channel Frame Service users, in an
appropriate order that is set by management.
NOTE – The Virtual Channel Multiplexing Function may put the multiplexed
Transfer Frames into a queue.
4.2.5.3 The algorithm used to order the Transfer Frames is not specified
by CCSDS, but shall be defined by project organizations considering
factors such as priority, release rate, isochronous timing requirements,
etc.

The same applies to TC section 4.3.6 VIRTUAL CHANNEL MULTIPLEXING FUNCTION
stating
4.3.6.2 The Virtual Channel Multiplexing Function shall multiplex Transfer
Frames received from the instances of the Virtual Channel Generation
Function and, if present, the Virtual Channel Frame Service users, in an
appropriate order set by management.
NOTE – The Virtual Channel Multiplexing Function may put the multiplexed
Transfer Frame  into a queue.
4.3.6.3 The algorithm to be used to order the Transfer Frames is not
specified by CCSDS, but shall be defined by project organizations
considering factors such as priority, release rate, isochronous timing
requirements, etc.

However FSP -  had to be more specific and it includes many more details
for VC multiplexing.
FSP also mention sets of APIDs assigned to VCs.

Going back to AOS sectio 2.2.3.2 Virtual Channel Packet (VCP) Service, it
is stated that
A user of this service is a protocol entity that sends or receives Packets
with a single PVN. A user is identified with the PVN and a GVCID.
In other words it looks fully correct that only one SPP user can provide
packets (with SAP Address = GVCID + Packet Version Number) to an instance
of the VCP Service

On the other end we shall also make sure that we have consistency with
CCSDS 133.1-B-2 that is the service able to create Space/Encapsulation
Packets

Another point that does show what we need to keep both services is given
by the primitives.
In the Space Data Link Protocol (e.g. for AOS) we have that "At the
sending end, the VCP Service user shall pass a VCP.request primitive to
the service provider to request that a Packet be transferred to the user
at the receiving end through the specified Virtual Channel." and "The
VCP.request primitive shall provide parameters as follows: VCP.request
(Packet, GVCID, Packet Version Number)"

Conversely in SPP  "The PACKET.request primitive shall provide parameters
as follows: PACKET.request (Space Packet, APID, APID Qualifier (optional),
QoS Requirement (optional))" and you see the difference for the parameters
that the upper layer (SPP on top of SDLP / AP on top of SPP) shall
provide.
Of course we also have the possibility that there is Encapsulation of top
of SDLP.

Last question.
Do we want to rule out packets from Proximity-1 forever?
Of course there is nothing preventing a Proximity-1 frame from carrying
one or more Packets and I think only spill over would be prohibited by the
absence of a first header pointer in the Proximity-1 frame?

Regards

Gian Paolo