[Sls-slp] CCSDS definition of Protocol IDs

Scott, Keith L. kscott at mitre.org
Fri Feb 5 14:39:14 UTC 2016

Is there a reason people don’t like:

TFDZ: 3 bits
Reserved: 5 bits
ProtoID: 8 bits
First Header pointer: 16 bits

?

From: Gian Calzolari <Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int<mailto:Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int>>
Date: Friday, February 5, 2016 at 8:03 AM
To: "Tomaso.deCola at dlr.de<mailto:Tomaso.deCola at dlr.de>" <Tomaso.deCola at dlr.de<mailto:Tomaso.deCola at dlr.de>>
Cc: Edward Greenberg <edward.greenberg at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:edward.greenberg at jpl.nasa.gov>>, Greg Kazz <greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov>>, "Scott, Keith L." <kscott at mitre.org<mailto:kscott at mitre.org>>, Peter Shames <peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov>>, "sls-slp at mailman.ccsds.org<mailto:sls-slp at mailman.ccsds.org>" <sls-slp at mailman.ccsds.org<mailto:sls-slp at mailman.ccsds.org>>
Subject: RE: [Sls-slp] CCSDS definition of Protocol IDs

I think you raised an important point: compactness vs. processing complexity. I think that however we should see this trade-off looking at the entire Transfer frame data field header, which contains the protocol field (s). At the moment it is 32-bit aligned (TFDZ:3 bits, ProtoID: 5 bits, Extended ProtoID: 8 bits, first header pointer: 16 bits) for a total of 32 bits, which is something always desirable. If we reduce the protocol IDs from a total of 13 down to 8, the header becomes of 27 bits. If we reduce from 13 to 6, it becomes 25 bits.