[Sls-slp] CCSDS definition of Protocol IDs

Tomaso.deCola at dlr.de Tomaso.deCola at dlr.de
Fri Feb 5 13:00:38 UTC 2016

Keith,

I think you raised an important point: compactness vs. processing complexity. I think that however we should see this trade-off looking at the entire Transfer frame data field header, which contains the protocol field (s). At the moment it is 32-bit aligned (TFDZ:3 bits, ProtoID: 5 bits, Extended ProtoID: 8 bits, first header pointer: 16 bits) for a total of 32 bits, which is something always desirable. If we reduce the protocol IDs from a total of 13 down to 8, the header becomes of 27 bits. If we reduce from 13 to 6, it becomes 25 bits.
I'm certainly fine with the 8 bits, I just wanted to avoid a large field (the initial 13 bits), which will be used only for very small extent of it.

Regards,

Tomaso

Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt (DLR)
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Communications and Navigation | Satellite Networks | Oberpfaffenhofen | 82234 Wessling | Germany
Tomaso de Cola, Ph.D.
Telefon +49 8153 28-2156 | Telefax  +49 8153 28-2844 | tomaso.decola at dlr.de
http://www.dlr.de/kn/institut/abteilungen/san