[Sls-slp] CCSDS definition of Protocol IDs

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Wed Feb 3 10:38:16 UTC 2016

Greg,
        assuming that USLP will be able to carry 2**13 = 8192 different
upper layers protocols look to me as thinking big.
Though I like optimism I wonder whether this is appropriate.

Indeed http://sanaregistry.org/r/protocol_id/protocol_id.html defines the
Protocol Identifier for Encapsulation Service over 3 bits with Extended
Protocol Identifier for Encapsulation Service over 4 bits (i.e. a total of
7 bits but not really 2**7 = 128 different protocol as the construction
allows 16 +6 protocols as some values are reserved (see
http://sanaregistry.org/r/extended_protocol_id/extended_protocol_id.html
).
I there a good reason for thinking that USLP could carry  8192 different
while Encapsulation Packet is limited to 22?

If not please consider the following alternative definition (justified
also by the current definition of the fields containing either a protocol
ID or a COP directive indication):
4.1.4.2.1.2     The TFDF Header shall contain the following fields:
a)      Transfer Frame Data Zone (TFDZ) Construction Rules (3 bits,
mandatory);
b1)     COP usage (2 bits, mandatory);   ---> see below
b2)     Protocol Identifier Within USLP Data Zone (3 bits, mandatory);--->
same as http://sanaregistry.org/r/protocol_id/protocol_id.html
c1)     Protocol Identifier Extension Within USLP Data Zone (4 bits,
optional); ;---> same as
http://sanaregistry.org/r/extended_protocol_id/extended_protocol_id.html
c2)     Spare (4 bits, optional); ;-->  good for a link to IPoC?????
d)      First Header Pointer or Last Valid Octet (16 bits, optional).

COP usage (2 bits, mandatory);
00 = No directives
01 = COP-1 directives are contained within the TFDZ.
10 = COP-P directives are contained within the TFDZ
11 = reserved

Regards

Gian Paolo