[Sls-slp] RE: [Sls-sea-dls] Re: Order of Processing between TC-SDLP, COP-1 and SDLS

Moury Gilles Gilles.Moury at cnes.fr
Thu Mar 28 11:48:42 UTC 2013

Dear Greg and all,

I concur with the clarifications that you have introduced in section 6.3 and 6.4. Your proposed figures 6-c and 6-d are less ambiguous than the preceding ones and they clearly rule out the possibility of interfacing SDLS function with "All Frames Generation/Reception" function. The text modifications you propose in coherence with those new figures are OK.

For the modifications introduced in 4.2.1.1.2 and 4.2.1.10 which aim at defining an optional  "SDLS Error Flag" to be transmitted in the CLCW, I do not concur since we concluded at our Feb telecon on SDLS-COP interaction that we should keep SDLS and COP decoupled. The rationale being :

- COP is dealing with transmission errors exclusively, so COP-FARM and COP-FOP should only be informed of detected transmission errors

- SDLS detects and passivate security errors (discarding impacted frames). SDLS informs associated SLP protocol of security errors, SLP protocol should  in turn inform SLP user. In all cases, security errors management will require analysis and action by human operators. Therefore, I do not see what an automated procedure like the COP could do with this SDLS error flag that you would like to introduce in the CLCW. Security errors reporting will be defined as part of the SDLS extended procedures which include an SDLS Monitoring & Control service. A real-time SDLS reporting status word will be defined. It could be transmitted either in line in the frame as a newly defined OCF for TM/AOS, or as a normal TM packet to be carried in the data field of TM/AOS transfer frames. What do you think of the possibility to define a specific type of OCF for SDLS real-time reporting ?

For your last point : "ApplySecurity" and "ProcessSecurity" functions are mentionned in SDLS book. So the coherency is insured. We could still add in SLP books that  "ApplySecurity" and "ProcessSecurity" functions are virtual functions that provide security services of SDLS.

Best regards,

Gilles

Gilles MOURY
CNES Toulouse