[Sls-slp] My comments on SDLS requirements on TM, TC, AOS / Presence of a parameter

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Wed Jan 16 10:19:06 UTC 2013

Dear Greg,
        thank you for your comments that will be discussed in the next
days.

I would like just to report about the usage of the zero value to indicate
absence of a given parameter.

You suggest to delete the two managed "Presence of Space Data Link
Security Header" and "Presence of Space Data Link Security Trailer" as the
length parameter covers the presence/absence of the field.
We discussed extensively the matter and even acknowledging that a zero
value for the length can be used by an implementation to show absence, we
finally agreed not to use this option for the following reasons:
- As stated in the chapter introduction, the managed parameters are
defined in an abstract sense and are not intended to imply any particular
implementation of a management system. As a consequence presenting two
parameters instead of one is much more logical and explanatory to show
that the given parameter can be omitted. Of course this is not preventing
implementing the couple of parameters with a single "variable" in a real
system.
- most of the times, using a zero value for the length imposes to describe
a non continuous range for the allowed values (e.g. 0 and 2 to 4 octets).
Conversely the use of two parameters really shows only the allowed values.
As well stating only "Integer" for allowed values would be incorrect.

If needed, we can add a note to state that implementers may combine the
two parameters in a single variable, but I do suggest keeping the two
parameters for clarity and readability.

Best regards

Gian Paolo

From: