[Sls-slp] FW: CESG Poll for the three Proximity-1 books

Kazz, Greg J (313B) greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Mar 3 12:01:28 UTC 2012

Sorry – I ment to send this email to SLP.

Greg Kazz

From: "Kazz, Greg J (313B)" <greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov>>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 16:18:31 -0800
To: "sls-ngu at mailman.ccsds.org<mailto:sls-ngu at mailman.ccsds.org>" <sls-ngu at mailman.ccsds.org<mailto:sls-ngu at mailman.ccsds.org>>
Cc: CCSDS Secretariat <tomg at aiaa.org<mailto:tomg at aiaa.org>>
Subject: FW: CESG Poll for the three Proximity-1 books

Dear NGU,

Below is a dialog I had with Keith Scott, SIS Area director, on his question concerning the 5-year Review copy of the Prox-1 Data Link Layer blue book.
Please read through this discussion and let me know if you have any comments concerning the proposed RID dispositions to those questions which I believe need to be turned into RIDs.  Below is my summary of 5 RIDs for consideration.
- Thanks Greg

Item 1: Note 2 in Section 4.3.2.2. The mechanisms provided in this specification will not eliminate duplicate data associated with the transition between the end of one session and the beginning of the next. Elimination of this problem is left to the controlling data system.
Recommended Change: The mechanisms provided in this specification will not eliminate the possibility of duplicate data associated with the transition between the end of one session and the beginning of the next.

Item 2.  The section numbers around 4.2.5 -- 4.2.7 seem busted.  Maybe they should be:

4.2.5 MAC BUFFERS
4.2.5.1 SENT_TIME_BUFFER
4.2.5.1.1 The SENT_TIME_BUFFER shall store all of the egress clock times, associated frame sequence numbers, and QoS Indicator when time tag data is collected.
4.2.5.2 RECEIVE_TIME_BUFFER
4.2.5.2.2 The RECEIVE_TIME_BUFFER shall store all of the ingress clock times, associated frame sequence numbers and QoS Indicator when time tag data is collected.

Tom to fix please.

Item 3.  6.2.2.1.1
It is unclear from the below when or if the receiver is powered on in half-duplex mode:

"...
b) connecting-T: In the Physical Layer, the Connecting-Transmit state in full duplex
shall dictate that the ***receiver (sequentially in half duplex)*** and transmitter are
powered on and enabled to process received frames, and that the transmitter is
enabled for asynchronous channel operations. (***In half duplex, only the transmitter is
powered on.***) The Hail Activity shall be conducted while MODE is connecting-T.

b) connecting-T: In this state the Hail Activity/Sequence is conducted. Applicable to both Full-Duplex and Half-Duplex operations. The Receiver is powered on through out this state. The Transmitter is powered on and off potentially multiple times during this Activity.

Item 4: 6.2.3.7  REMOTE_SCID_BUFFER
Are the tests mentioned done on reception or transmission?  It seems like this is trying to ensure that all frames are sent to the same destination spacecraft ID?
All tests are carried out upon reception.  I need to reference 3.2.2.9 here which lists all of the tests by the receiving node– we will make this a RID. This buffer is just a receptical for the value of the Remote_spacecraft_ID i.e., partnered node MIB parameter.
New Definition – REMOTE_SCID_BUFFER shall be used to hold the value of the Remote_spacecraft_ID of the partnered node. See 3.2.2.9

Item 5: 6.2.3.9  RECEIVING_SCID_BUFFER
"...or it may be loaded with the spacecraft ID contained in the first valid received frame." -- First of WHAT (I think 'first valid received frame of a new connection where the sourceOrDest parameter of the frame is DESTINATION' [since if the first valid received frame has sourceOrDestination set to source then the value of the SCID will be the transmitter -- or is this not possible?])?
Again, one has to interpret the S/D flag differently if one is the Sending node or the Receiving node.  Yes it is the initial valid received frame of a session.  However this refers to the optional test when S/D = SOURCE, since the test when S/D = DESTINATION is always made. See section 3.2.2.9 and section 6.2.4.2.  We accept some of the rewording as a RID – we will update with the wording "the initial valid received frame of a session" and in 6.2.4.2 as well.

End of Items.