[Sls-slp] Security, NGU and New TC services and there effect on COP-1

Greenberg, Edward (313B) edward.greenberg at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 15 16:22:49 UTC 2009

As usual Howie you are correct....except there needs to be a process somewhere for the system on an end to end basis to report the failure at the security point or at the application layer.  Are we going to invent a protocol to do that at the security layer;. notifying the remote user of the failure at the security check point?  Cop-1 will respond to the loss of a frame and request a replacement.  I guess we could relate you argument to TCP; its role is to handle link problems (ordering and loss) and security (using IPSec) is riding on top of that.  If the system requires in order delivery of good data without loss then there needs to be a protocol at the application layer that requests the missed item.  I don't believe that we want to do that.....so I'll continue to say that the COP is there to assure the delivery of in order without loss delivery.