[Sls-slp] Re: ISO 8473 - CCSDS APID

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 23 15:22:43 UTC 2009

At 10:47 AM 4/23/2009, Kazz, Greg J wrote:
>No one seems to be using ISO 8473, yet CCSDS
>still has this as an APID in table 5.2 in Space
>Link Identifiers. (Reserved Application Process Identifiers)
>We should move to remove it from the book – what do you think?

Although reports of its death are greatly
exaggerated (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLNS)
-  "CLNP is still widely used today in many
telecommunications networks around the world" - I
do not believe that anyone is advocating its use
for connectionless networking in space.
Therefore, global deprecation of references to
8473 in CCSDS documents seems to be appropriate.
However, the SIS Area should make the final determination relative to its fate.

///adrian