[Sls-slp] Re: [Sis-ipo] Adding a note to Encapsulation Service 4.2.2.4

Greenberg, Edward edward.greenberg at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Apr 21 04:16:31 UTC 2009

I agree with Dave's comment except it should be a normative statement not a NOTE!

On 4/20/09 9:12 PM, "Kazz, Greg J" <greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

All,

During today's SIS-IPO meeting, Dave Israel made what I believe is a very good suggestion, discovered during interoperability testing IP/IPE over Encapsulation over AOS frames.

The problem with the current wording of the Encapsulation Service Specification is that two independent implementations will not interoperate if the receive side of the interface implements Encapsulation packet size differently with respect to the transmit side.

The proposed note would be added to the Encapsulation Service Pink Sheets, which is a topic for discussion in the SLS-SLP WG meeting on Friday.  The section is 4.2.2.4 Length of Length Field

The proposed note is:

NOTE  -  An implementation on the transmitting end may choose to either use a fixed Encapsulation header size or adaptively/dynamically adjust the size of the Encapsulation Header size according to the payload size in order to optimize bandwidth use (minimize header overhead).  Therefore, an implementation must be capable of receiving encapsulation packets implementing either case.

Greg