[Sls-slp] New RID to Space Link Identifiers Pink Sheets

Greg Kazz greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 11 16:57:05 UTC 2006

All,

I've just written a RID against the current pink sheets (P2.1) on Space
Link Identifiers. I've added IPv4 to the list of protocol ID to be
recognized by CCSDS for Encapsulation by the Encapsulation Service. (Table 7.7)

Rational:  Enable a migration path for missions starting out with IPv4 and
upgrading to IPv6. If CCSDS provides for a protocol ID for IPv4, then it
can be put into an encapsulation packet, which is currently required for
IPv6 datagrams. Otherwise, missions are forced to insert IP datagrams into
the CCSDS link layer using two different mechanism: 1) directly into the
frame for IPv4 and 2) encapsulation packets for IPv6.

Please let me know if you have any issues or concerns about this proposed
change.

I've attached the modified pink sheet.

thanks,

Greg