[Sls-slp] Results of CESG Poll on Prox-1 Data Link Pink Sheets

Greg Kazz greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 8 16:10:04 UTC 2006

All,

Below are Bob Durst's (SIS area) comments on the proposed change to Prox-1
data link to the frame selection rules. (see below)

We need to consider this performance issue along with any other additional
performance issues that we feel need to be incorporated into the Prox-1 GB.
I look forward to that discussion with you in Rome.

regards,

Greg Kazz
Chairman SLS-SLP WG

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-R-2006-05-002:  Approval of  update to
Proximity-1 Space Link Protocol--Data Link Layer Blue Book
Results of CESG poll beginning 12 May 2006 and ending 26 May 2006:

Total Respondents:  3

No response was received from the following Area(s):

      MOIMS
      CSS
      SOIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Failed to achieve quorum
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            To be determined

                  ABSTAIN:  0 (0%)
  APPROVE UNCONDITIONALLY:  2 (66.67%) (Shames, Moury)
  APPROVE WITH CONDITIONS:  1 (33.33%) (Durst)
  DISAPPROVE WITH COMMENT:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Bob Durst (APPROVE WITH CONDITIONS):  It's really hard to review this
without the Green Book.  I pulled the green book from the SLS site, but
don't really know how current/complete it is.  My main concern is that the
Frame Selection scheme in section 4.1.2.2 is complex.  I don't have a feel
for the types and amounts of traffic that might be present in each of the
five categories listed, and so I cannot judge how effective this scheme
might be across the range of environments in which Prox-1 might be
deployed.  I hoped to see some verification that this scheme would not
result in either data or control frame starvation, but didn't see it.  I
encourage the authors of the green book to include some analysis of this
frame selection scheme in the updated green book (and to be really, really
sure that it works the way that you expect it to...).