[Sls-sea-dls] [EXTERNAL] Re: SDLS EP GVCID Issues

Biggerstaff, Craig (JSC-CD4)[SGT, INC] craig.biggerstaff at nasa.gov
Wed Jul 17 21:00:36 UTC 2019

I am just now catching up on email threads in preparation for our teleconference.

With reference to the SDLS EP GVCID, it is indeed a concatenation of the longest defined versions of the respective fields (TFVN + SCID + VCID + MAPID if applicable).  The intention was for every SDLS EP implementation to have a standard, interoperable way to parse these values between Initiator and Recipient, for any combination of SLPs.  It would be possible to add a NOTE to that effect.  Since these values are logical bit fields taken from the Primary Header, I did not foresee them being used in mathematical operations where overflow conditions could be a problem.

As for inherent ambiguity, there is still the problem that TC and TM have the same TFVN ('00').  The solution to this problem was for the PDU itself to specify in the Service Group field (section 5.3.2.2.2.3...) whether the applicable SDLS link is Initiator-to-Recipient ('01') or Recipient-to-Initiator ('10').  With that, each end should have enough information locally to know whether TM or TC is the SLP used on the link.

Craig