[Sls-rfm] SCCS-ARD discussion relating to VCM

Jon Hamkins Jon.Hamkins at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Dec 2 04:26:02 UTC 2021

Hi Peter,

I requested the meeting to provide feedback on the SCCS-ARD draft on one
topic that I know best. This feedback is important for you to hear and
discuss prior to a decision on how we ought to proceed. It involves the
VCM "suite" issue but also several other important areas. There are
factual errors, omissions, and artificial complexity. These are not
details. These get at the crux of properly explaining how VCM works and
fits together and what the relevant standards actually are about. These
issues need to be resolved before we will be able to reach closure on an
approach.

With this in mind, I suggest inserting agenda item #4, resulting in the
following:

Agenda

 1. SCCS-ARD structure (Peter) - 5 minutes
 2. SCCS-ARD viewpoints (Peter) - 5 minutes
 3. SCCS-ARD handling of VCM "suite" (Peter) - 5 minutes
 4. Feedback on the SCCS-ARD (Jon) - 60 minutes
 5. Discussion and path forward (all) - 45 minutes
 6. Specific details, if any. - 0 minutes

If more time is needed, we can stretch the meeting length accordingly. I
suggested the first items be brief because we don't need much of a
tutorial on the SCCS-ARD at this point, since those have been covered in
detail in the distributed SCCS-ARD itself and prior meetings.

I intend to come to the meeting with practical suggestions on how to
improve the SCCS-ARD draft, and an open mind.

BTW, I laughed at the cartoon! The irony of it, I mean, which you may
have missed. I am not insulted by VCM being a small piece -- my
recommendation was for VCM to be not included in the SCCS-ARD, but that
was ignored. If you feel VCM is taking outsize importance, we should
keep its removal in the trade-space of options we discuss.

      ----Jon

*Jon Hamkins*
Chief Technologist, Communications, Tracking, and Radar Division

*JPL*   |   jpl.nasa.gov